Tasty and not too hard to make. If you prefer, use 8 small tomatoes, bake in muffin cups and reduce baking time to 15 minutes.
Categories: Lunch, Low Calorie, Dinner, Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Heart Healthy Diet, Dairy-Free, High Fiber Diet, Vegetarian
- 4 large firm tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Stir in rice; cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand covered 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork.
- Slice off the top of each tomato and scoop out the pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch thick shell.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of pulp, chopped.
- Invert the tomatoes to drain.
- In a medium bowl combine rice, tomato pulp, green pepper, onion, parsley, salt, garlic and olive oil; mix well.
- Spoon filling into tomato shells.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
Servings: 4, Calories: 143, Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 314mg, Carbohydrate: 29.7g, Protein: 3.6g